Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Branching Tree of Death

As Lee Sheldon so elegantly said over his one hour rant with yours truly, he struck home possibly one the greatest problems that video games face today.

Storytelling.

I know, I know, there are some of you out there that believe video games and story telling are not meant to co-exist with one another, but it's definitely there, even for the fanatics who think games are all about pretty guns and blood and gore. And for this I blame all the game developers who treat storytelling as an added luxury. We can't blame these people who have been conditioned to treat storytelling within video games like this.

But I personally think that games are still a developing media, and that it is important for game developers to keep in mind story throughout all the phases of the game, just as they constantly change the art and programming as the game progresses and changes throughout the development phase.

One of the important things that also have to be considered is how the story is going to be presented. Should it take an artsy approach and allow the gamer to interpret their own version of the story, or should it just be within hundreds of pages of text?

Personally, I think the latter choice is an abomination as I don't have the time nor the patience to read a book within a game, if it doesn't have any critical plot information spelled out for me.

I think there are many ways to cover story telling, but since I'm starting to sound like a WoW quest giver, I'm going to leave that a job for further posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment